Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made $6k after tax contribution to traditional ira. Then I converted that to roth ira.I have $50k already in traditional ira so how much out of $6k is taxable by NJ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I made $6k after tax contribution to traditional ira. Then I converted that to roth ira.I have $50k already in traditional ira so how much out of $6k is taxable by NJ?

TurboTax will figure out how much is taxable in NJ after you entered how much was previously taxed by NJ. Your traditional IRA contributions are not deductible in NJ. Therefore, if you only made contributions while living in NJ then all of your contributions will have been previously taxed.

Please go through the NJ state interview until you get the "Roth Conversion screen" and enter the amount of contributions that were previously taxed in NJ (click on the Learn More link if you need help figuring out the amount).

"In most cases, your contributions to a traditional IRA were already taxed by New Jersey and are not taxable when withdrawn. However, any amounts you roll over from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA that were not previously taxed by New Jersey must be included as income on your New Jersey return the year they are withdrawn from the traditional IRA." (NJ Division of Taxation)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, So How Do I figure how much was taxed by NJ in prior years? My current $6k contribution is after tax so Can I put $6k as taxed by NJ? My traditional IRA has 50k balance out of which 45k is rollover from old 401k. Rest 5k  is contribution + earning. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, it would be $6,000 plus the amount of the previous traditional IRA contribution left in the account (all traditional IRA contributions are not deductible in NJ).

Thanks

Also to confirm rollover from old 401k to traditional IRA is not taxable event in NJ right? In other words, rollover 401k is not considered as a contribution to traditional IRA?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, a rollover from 401(k) to a traditional IRA is not taxable in NJ. A rollover is not a traditional IRA contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies