Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgoddard

I have maximize contribution to individual 401k UN-checked. Turbotax is still telling me how much I need to contribute by plan due date to maximize.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
mgoddard

I have maximize contribution to individual 401k UN-checked. Turbotax is still telling me how much I need to contribute by plan due date to maximize.

I won't be able to contribute that much, are my taxes owed/refund due based on the max amount?  Or are they based on the 25,000 maximum?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you have the maximize unchecked on all plan types, your contribution should be only what you entered.  You  may have the maximize box checked next to Keogh or SEP plans instead of the 401k plan.  If you are seeing the amount you need to contribute to maximize on the summary screen at the end of that interview, then your tax owed/refund is using that amount. 

To adjust it, type self-employed retirement in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to self-employed retirement.   Go back through the interview and uncheck all of the maximize boxes (Individual, Keoghs, and SEPs).   Your summary screen should show only what you contributed or what you will contribute by 04/15.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BB75

I can no longer find the "Maximize" Box to select for self employed 401K.  How do I turn in back on?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "solo 401k" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to solo 401k" link.  When you answer "Yes" that you contributed to an "individual or Roth 401(k)" the next screen will have a tiny "box" in the middle of the screen for the "Maximize Contributions to Individual 401(k)".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies