Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sab4one

I am 61 and on my last year of my 72T. I am told that since I’m over 59.5, I can also take more. Is that true or will I be penalized for taking out more than the 72T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

I am 61 and on my last year of my 72T. I am told that since I’m over 59.5, I can also take more. Is that true or will I be penalized for taking out more than the 72T?

If you have been making the substantially equal periodic payments under rule 72T for the minimum of 5 years and you are 59 1/2 years old, you will not be subject to the 10% penalty for any amount you disburse out of your IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

If you have been making the substantially equal periodic payments under rule 72T for the minimum of 5 years and you are 59 1/2 years old, you will not be subject to the 10% penalty for any amount you disburse out of your IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A roundabout way of saying, "Don't violate your 72T rules in the last year !!"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies