Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Company stock in 401K

I have company stock in my 401K.  I've been told that when I retire I can basically cash out my company stock, subtract the cost  basis & just pay long-term capital gains on the increase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Company stock in 401K

Your partially correct.  When you retire (or otherwise leave your company) if your 401(k) has publicly traded company stock in it, you can withdraw some or all of your company stock and put it in a taxable brokerage account.  By doing so you will receive some favorable tax advantages.  The difference between the stock's value when you acquired it and its current value, known as the Net Unrealized Appreciaiton (NUA), is then subject to only capital gains tax, as opposed to higher income tax.  The only part of your company stock that is subject to ordinary income taxes is the value of the stock when it was first purchased in your 401(k).  That amount is taxable in the year you make the withdrawal. You only pay the capital gains tax on the NUA of your company stock if and when you sell it.  If you sell your company stock immediately, it is subject to long term capital gains. 

This strategy works best if you have large gains in your company stock.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Company stock in 401K

Thanks Mark!

Company stock in 401K

Sorry, THANKS DAVID!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies