turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland allows you to subtract $5000 of military retirement income from federal adjusted gross income before determining state tax. There's no line for this in Turbo Tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Maryland allows you to subtract $5000 of military retirement income from federal adjusted gross income before determining state tax. There's no line for this in Turbo Tax

The above answer is wrong.  When entering the Form 1099-R in the federal section, on the Where Is This Distribution From page you must indicate that it is from Active military or reserve retirement and on the next page indicate that the distribution is from a qualified plan.  TurboTax will automatically include the code U subtraction on Form 502 line 13 with the amount of the subtraction based on your age at the end of the tax year.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Ashby

As you go through the program, it will be in the "subtractions from income" section of the Maryland interview. If you are looking at the Maryland state forms, it will be Form 502SU Line U.

jaholly1
Returning Member

I am having problem with accessing the 502SU for maryland to put the 5,000.00 retirement tax income dedicate that is allowed. 

I pulled up the form but it will not allow the udpates 

I am having the same problem.  I have gone through the deductions from income section 5 times.  there is NOTHING there that asks this question.  I also tried to enter it manually on form 502SU and it would not let me.  I am trying to get ahold of Turbo Tax support to figure out how I can get it to show on the 502 form.

dmertz
Level 15

The above answer is wrong.  When entering the Form 1099-R in the federal section, on the Where Is This Distribution From page you must indicate that it is from Active military or reserve retirement and on the next page indicate that the distribution is from a qualified plan.  TurboTax will automatically include the code U subtraction on Form 502 line 13 with the amount of the subtraction based on your age at the end of the tax year.

Incorrect.  You must enter on your federal 1099-R form indicating it came from active military status - it will then automatically include it on your MA return.  

In the FEDERAL 1099-R entry section ... look for these screens ...

1.png2.png

dmertz
Level 15

"Incorrect.  You must enter on your federal 1099-R form indicating it came from active military status - it will then automatically include it on your MA return."

brmosena1, since your most recent reply repeats as being the correct what I have already said, I must assume that you are agreeing with me that the original answer is incorrect, not that my correction to the original question is incorrect.

This question is also talking about a MD tax return, not a Massachusetts tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies