Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question on IRA contribution during retirement process

Hi, I retired on Feb 1, 2021 and I'm in my late 60s.  For the month of January, I was contributing to a 401k plan at work so my W2 shows a checkmark under Retirement Plan.  For the rest of 2021, I contributed 7k to a combination of a regular and Roth IRAs.  When doing my taxes, Turbo Tax is filling out Form 5329 and charging me additional taxes stating excess contributions.  Should that be the case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Question on IRA contribution during retirement process

It depends, on how much taxable compensation (wages) you had in 2021. To be able to contribute the $7,000 to an IRA you need $7,000 taxable compensation (IRS).

Excess contributions are taxed at 6% per year for each year the excess amounts remain in the IRA. 

To avoid the 6% tax on excess contributions, you must withdraw:

• the excess contributions from your IRA by the due date of your individual income tax return (including extensions); and
  • any income earned on the excess contribution.

The earnings will be taxable on your 2021 tax return.

You will get a 1099-R 2022 in 2023 with codes P and J for the withdrawal of excess contribution and earnings. This 1099-R will have to be included on your 2021 tax return and you have two options: 

• You can wait until you receive the 1099-R  2022 in 2023 and amend your 2021 return or
  • You can report it now in your 2021 return and ignore the 1099-R when it comes unless there is Box 4 Federal Tax withholding and/or Box 14 State withholding. Then you must enter the 2022 1099-R into the 2022 tax return since the withholding is reported in the year that the tax was withheld. The 2022 code P will not do anything in 2022 tax return but the withholding will be applied to 2022.

To create a 1099-R in your 2021 return please follow the steps below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Answer "Yes" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?"
  5. Select "I'll type it in myself"
  6. Box 1 enter total distribution (contribution plus earning)
  7. Box 2a enter the earnings
  8. Box 7 enter J and P
  9. Click "Continue"
  10. On the "Which year on Form 1099-R" screen say that this is a 2022 1099-R.

Please be aware, code P will say in the drop-down menu "Return of contribution taxable in 2020" you can ignore that since the follow-up question will tell TurboTax that it will be taxable in 2021.

Another reason why you might have an excess contribution: Your Roth IRA contribution may be limited based on your filing status and income. Please see 2021 - Amount of Roth IRA Contributions You Can Make for 2021 for details. If this is the case then please see What happens if I made an excess Roth IRA contribution for your options to fix the excess contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies