Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ssodl623

Question on Executor of estate - class action asbestos lawsuit

I am the personal representative of my Uncle's estate who passed away in 2008.  We closed his estate and filed all the necessary paperwork with the IRS.  However, he had an opened class action asbestos lawsuit going at the time of his death.  I reopened the estate to deposit the checks that the lawyers had payable to his estate over the years.  Now, I received a letter from the lawyers for final closure of the asbestos lawsuit tht was filed by him. There is about $1,500 remaining in this opened estate account - do I need to file any forms with the IRS and is this money considered taxable to me?  I did reopen the estate with the register of wills so I could deposit these checks that were coming in.   I was reading articles stating that Class Action asbestos lawsuits are not taxable, but not sure if this applies to an estate account.

Sue 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The estate would appear to have been the successor to the proceeds.

If they were not taxable to the decedent, then they would not be taxable to the estate.

Generally, settlements for physical injury are not taxable, including pain and suffering when caused by physical injury.  However, if the settlement contains punitive damages or interest (due to the length of time it takes to pay out), the punitive damages and interest portion are taxable.  You would have to check with the attorney to see if the payments include these items.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies