Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Prorata calculation for IRA for multiple years

In 2021, I contributed $6k after tax money to TIRA and did Roth conversion.
I had another Rollover IRA(rolled over from 403(b) which is pretax ) account that has $2k.
So the Pro-rata rule applied and 8606 form told me $1500 is taxable for my $6k conversion and $1500 will be my basis carry over to 2022

In 2022, I contribute $6k after tax money to TIRA and did Roth conversion. I forgot to file 8606 so now I’m working on 2022 amend in 2024. 

For the form 2022 8606, I took 2021 8606 form line 14, which is $1500, to 2022 8606 form line 2 as a basis carry over from prior year. Then Turbotax ask me 2022 year end value of total IRA account to apply pro-rata rule. 
I did convert the whole $6k in TIRA (so 2022 year end balance for TIRA is $0) but still had some money in Rollover IRA at 2022 year end. That was $1100 (I lost money from investing Rollover IRA account during 2022). Entering all this makes this pro-rata calculation to result $0 taxable money for $6k Roth conversion in 2022 (Based on  line 18 of 2022 8606)

The calculation I understand is 6000*(1500+6000)/(1100+600) > 6000 so it makes all my $6k Roth conversion non-taxable just as no pro-rata. 
I’m wondering if I missed something in my calculation or the input to Turbotax entries ends up being false optimistic result (no pro-rata!).

Any advice will be welcomed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

The pro-rata calculation is correct and you can see the calculations on Form 8606 or the Taxable IRA Distribution Worksheet.  

You will have a $1,500 basis to carry over to 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

The pro-rata calculation is correct and you can see the calculations on Form 8606 or the Taxable IRA Distribution Worksheet.  

You will have a $1,500 basis to carry over to 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies