Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you recharacterize traditional IRA to Roth?

How do I enter the info to recharacterize from traditional IRA to Roth?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Please be more specific as to what you mean by re characterize from traditional to Roth?

Are you converting the whole account?

Transferring money?
**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
pagola123

recharacterizing my entire 2016 traditional ira contribution to a roth ira

If you move your entire account, you will pay taxes on the money when it is moved; so be aware of that.

The easiest way would be to contact the trustee and have them move the money from the traditional to a Roth.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-iras-rollovers-and-roth-convers...

How do I convert my traditional IRA to a Roth IRA?

You can convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA by:

• Rollover – You receive a distribution from a traditional IRA and contribute it to a Roth IRA within 60 days after the distribution (the distribution check is payable to you);
  • Trustee-to-trustee transfer – You tell the financial institution holding your traditional IRA assets to transfer an amount directly to the trustee of your Roth IRA at a different financial institution (the distributing trustee may achieve this by issuing you a check payable to the new trustee);
  • Same trustee transfer – If your traditional and Roth IRAs are maintained at the same financial institution, you can tell the trustee to transfer an amount from your traditional IRA to your Roth IRA.

A conversion to a Roth IRA results in taxation of any untaxed amounts in the traditional IRA. The conversion is reported on Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs. See Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs), for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a/ch01.html

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Jerry04

I made a partial transfer from my IRA account to a Roth IRA account

Jerry04

I made a Partial transfer of money from my IRA account to my Roth IRA

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies