Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partner eligibility for Solo 401(k) vs SEP-IRA

I am a general partner of an LLC with three members. The other two members are limited partners and are not actively involved in the LLC. When calculating SEP-IRA contributions TurboTax Business says that the two limited partners do not qualify. However, I believe that a solo 401(k) would be a better option for me. Would the two limited/inactive partners also not qualify for the solo 401(k)? Would I be able to make employer contributions to just myself as the only general/active partner of the LLC? How would I record this in TurboTax Business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Partner eligibility for Solo 401(k) vs SEP-IRA

Yes, as long as self-employment earnings are reported to you on Schedule K-1 Line 14a, you may contribute to a Solo 401K Plan. These contributions are considered Employee Benefits and entered as a Business Expense in TurboTax Business.

A Solo 401(k) plan covers a business owner with no employees, or that person and his or her spouse. These plans have the same rules and requirements as any other 401(k) plan. Unless one of your partners is your spouse, they would not qualify to participate.

Contribution limits in a one-participant 401(k) plan

The business owner wears two hats in a 401(k) plan: employee and employer. Contributions can be made to the plan in both capacities. The owner can contribute both:

• Elective deferrals up to 100% of compensation (“earned income” in the case of a self-employed individual) up to the annual contribution limit:
    • $20,500 in 2022 ($19,500 in 2020 and 2021), or $27,000 in 2022 ($26,000 in 2020 and 2021) if age 50 or over; plus
  • Employer nonelective contributions up to:
    • 25% of compensation as defined by the plan, or
    • for self-employed individuals, see discussion below

Total contributions to a participant’s account, not counting catch-up contributions for those age 50 and over, cannot exceed $61,000 for 2022 ($57,000 for 2020; $58,000 for 2021).

Additional info: One Participant 401k Plans | Internal Revenue Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies