Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Option a) Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA. Option b) I need to make an adjustment to the taxable amount of this income.

Which box should I use? a or b?
I live in PA, but make no income there.
I earn in DE, but do not live there.
What is the correct box to use? Box 15 on my W-2 says Delaware. Please advise.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Option a) Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA. Option b) I need to make an adjustment to the taxable amount of this income.

Do not modify what’s on your W-2. Enter it exactly as it is. TurboTax will perform the calculations for you. Since you live in one state and work in another state, you will prepare two state tax returns. You will prepare a non-resident tax return for the state that you work in and a resident tax return for the state that you live in. When you complete the interview screens, you will have an opportunity to allocate your income to each state. You will allocate $0 for the state that you work in and all your income in the state that you live in. 

Review your entries in the Personal Info Section and make sure that you enter that you made money in another state so TurboTax will prompt you to complete a non-resident tax return for that state. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Launch Turbo Tax and select Personal Info
  2. Personal info summary screen will pop up.
  3. Scroll down to Other State Income and select Edit
  4. Check your answer for Did you make money in any other states? Answer the questions stating that you made money in the state that you work in and select Continue.

Please note, prepare the state that you work in first, followed by the state you live in. 

Please review the TurboTax article Multiple States - Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies