Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kingcrimson
Returning Member

OPM 1099R - Gross income does not seem correct

Hi,

I've tallied what my gross income should be for 2021 (gross annuity+FERS supplement), and it doesn't match the gross on the 1099R. Has anyone seen this before, or has anyone seen OPM issue a corrected 1099R? Or am I misunderstanding what this number should be?

I don't want to go through the hassle of resubmitting multiple tax returns if OPM is in the habit of issuing corrected 1099Rs.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The best thing to do is call the OPM and hear from them why this is so. They are the only ones who can explain the discrepancy.

kingcrimson
Returning Member

Yes. I didn't call, but emailed them about a month ago. Got a response about a week later saying they were looking into it, but nothing since then.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@kingcrimson It is possible that a distribution was applied to one year but you received it in another year. For instance, they may have mailed you a check at the end of the year so it was included it in that's year's distributions, but you didn't receive it until the next year, so you assumed it belonged in a different year than how it was reported.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kingcrimson
Returning Member

Thanks for the suggestion - all of this is done with direct deposit. But I did go back and look at last year's amounts, and I still can't make the numbers add up. It may be tied also to the fact that I took a cut in benefits to get a survivorship annuity, but that's just a guess.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can call OPM at 888-767-6738 for retirement related questions, to get a direct answer for the discrepancy. A cut in benefits is a decrease you know about and may account for the difference. Calling seems like the best option since email was so long ago and still no resolution. A phone call should be able to pull up your case to see where the investigation stands.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies