Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Open a traditional IRA after retirement

I received some pay through a W-2 for benefits that were owed to me after my company went bankrupt in 2014.  I received the money in 2020 thru another company that took over settlement of my former company. When I filled out all my information in TurboTax the software gives me opportunity to open a traditional IRA and save over $800 in taxes owed.  I turned 70 in February and I am under 70 1/2; can I legally open a IRA and do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes.    The SECURE Act signed into law in 2019 removed the age limit for Traditional IRA contribution starting in 2020, so you can contribute at any age now, provided you have sufficient taxable compensation to do so.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes.    The SECURE Act signed into law in 2019 removed the age limit for Traditional IRA contribution starting in 2020, so you can contribute at any age now, provided you have sufficient taxable compensation to do so.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I assume you mean income earned thru a W-2 or a 1099.  What is sufficient?

@wevans3 wrote:

I assume you mean income earned thru a W-2 or a 1099.  What is sufficient?

As much as the contribution.

The maximum IRA contributions for 2020 and 2021  is $6,000, or $7,000 if you’re age 50 or older by the end of the year; or your taxable compensation for the year which ever is less.

(Taxable compensation is generally wages that you worked for - W-2 or net self-employed income minus the deductible part of the SE tax, but can include commissions, certain alimony and separate maintenance, and nontaxable combat pay ).

See IRS Pub 590A "What is compensation" for details:
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2018_publink1000230355

Thanks. I thought the rules had changed and you confirmed it.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to IRS.gov, for 2020 and later, there is no age limit on making regular contributions to traditional or Roth IRAs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies