turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbowen577

On the "Retirement Income Results" page, Turbotax put my Annuity amount on the "IRA dist" line instead of the "Pension and Annuity dist" line. Is this a problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

On the "Retirement Income Results" page, Turbotax put my Annuity amount on the "IRA dist" line instead of the "Pension and Annuity dist" line. Is this a problem?

The line that the distribution goes on is dictated by the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R and the marking of the box and TurboTax properly adheres to this.  If the the Form 1099-R provided by the payer has the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked or there is a code J, T or Q in box 7, the annuity is an IRA annuity and belongs on 2019 Form 1040 line 4a or 4b.  Any other Form 1099-R belongs on line 4c or 4d.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It would be best to correct it. For your annuity to be included on the Pension and Annuity distribution line, then the IRA box would not be checked.

To uncheck the box, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Federal>
  • Wages & Income>Scroll to IRA,401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) and click Edit
  • From Your 1099-R screen, click Edit by your Annuity
  • Scroll through until you see the box selected, just after Distribution Code box
dmertz
Level 15

The line that the distribution goes on is dictated by the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R and the marking of the box and TurboTax properly adheres to this.  If the the Form 1099-R provided by the payer has the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked or there is a code J, T or Q in box 7, the annuity is an IRA annuity and belongs on 2019 Form 1040 line 4a or 4b.  Any other Form 1099-R belongs on line 4c or 4d.

cbowen577

The two responses I received did not agree with each other.  I went with the second response from dmertz. The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is checked on my annuity 1099-R and I assumed it was there for a reason.  dmertz indicates that having this box checked means that the annuity is an IRA annuity and the income should be shown on line 4a,b.  This makes sense to me.  

Thank you.   

dmertz
Level 15

I believe that KathrynG3 did not consider the possibility that this annuity was an IRA annuity and answered under the assumption that this was not an IRA annuity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies