Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pdurietz

On box 1 & 2 of my 1099-R combines a direct roll over and RMD together. What do I do so as not to be taxed on the total amount?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

On box 1 & 2 of my 1099-R combines a direct roll over and RMD together. What do I do so as not to be taxed on the total amount?

After you have entered the information reported on your Form 1099-R reporting your combined distribution, go through all the following up questions until you see the one that asks 'What did you do with the money?', then use the following steps as a guide: 

• Answer Moved the money to another retirement account to the question that asks What did you do with the money
  • This will open another question on the same screen to ask Which of the following applies
  • Choose you did a combination of converting, rolling over, or cashing out
  • Enter the amount that was rolled over (the remaining amount will be considered your RMD), then click Continue

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

After you have entered the information reported on your Form 1099-R reporting your combined distribution, go through all the following up questions until you see the one that asks 'What did you do with the money?', then use the following steps as a guide: 

• Answer Moved the money to another retirement account to the question that asks What did you do with the money
  • This will open another question on the same screen to ask Which of the following applies
  • Choose you did a combination of converting, rolling over, or cashing out
  • Enter the amount that was rolled over (the remaining amount will be considered your RMD), then click Continue

dmertz
Level 15

An RMD and a direct rollover cannot be reported on the same Form 1099-R.  For them to be appearing on the same Form 1099-R, the rollover must be an indirect rollover.  TurboTaxAnnetteB's answer assumes that it's being reported as an indirect rollover (code 7).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies