turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plim
Returning Member

Nondeductible IRA contribution from prior year to current year

I joined a company that offers pension plan in 2020. In the same year, I made a traditional IRA contribution of $6,000 without realizing that I couldn't simultaneously participate in both a pension plan and contribute to a traditional IRA. Consequently, the $6,000 I contributed to the traditional IRA became a nondeductible IRA (after-tax) on my 2020 tax return. May I know

1. Is there a way to "convert" this $6,000 from a nondeductible IRA back to a traditional IRA without incurring any tax or penalty, provided I no longer make pension contributions? I am not yet at the retirement age.

2. Can I "rollover" this $6,000 nondeductible IRA (after-tax) from 2020 to 2023 as a traditional IRA (pre-tax) contribution? In other words, can I use the $6,000 contribution made in 2020 and "apply" it to 2023, so it appears as if there were no nondeductible IRA in 2020, but only a traditional IRA in 2023, providing pre-tax benefits in my 2023 tax return?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Imaginative, but you can't do either of these things.

@plim 

plim
Returning Member

That's too bad. Does that mean there are no alternative methods to transfer the nondeductible IRA into a traditional IRA without facing penalties and taxes?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

There isn't a way to transfer the nondeductible IRA to a traditional IRA as it's already in a traditional IRA (but the basis is tracked since you weren't able to take a deduction in the year of the contribution).

If you want to make a deductible contribution for 2023, you will need to fund that with new money.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies