Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nondeductible contributions for the traditional IRA

Hello,

Since this is my first year report with my newly open IRA in 2023, want to make sure I'm doing it right.

When I open the this traditional IRA account, per bank request, I deposited some money from my saving.

Assuming if I understand it correctly, that make it "nondeductible contributions".

Thus, with Turboxtax, I should go with "Traditional IRA " > Total Contribution Amount $ > 0$ of Transferred to Roth > Yes on Nondeductible contributions > $0 on Basis (Since IRA is opened on 2023) > Yes, Part of Contribution is  Nondeductible and the Amount $

Hope I'm correct on this one, and thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you want to report your contribution as non-deductible, the steps you outlined are correct.  To verify this, take a look at Form 8606 generated as part of your return and make sure that line 1 shows the amount that you contributed to the Traditional IRA.

Putting money into the Traditional IRA from your savings account does not necessarily make it a non-deductible contribution.  The income you reported on your tax return, your filing status, and whether you are covered by a retirement plan at your job are all factors to determine whether your contribution can be deductible if you wish.  Making it a deductible contribution can reduce your taxes, but it will make the future distributions from the account taxable.  

If you expect to convert the Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA down the road, then making the contribution non-deductible is the better choice.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you want to report your contribution as non-deductible, the steps you outlined are correct.  To verify this, take a look at Form 8606 generated as part of your return and make sure that line 1 shows the amount that you contributed to the Traditional IRA.

Putting money into the Traditional IRA from your savings account does not necessarily make it a non-deductible contribution.  The income you reported on your tax return, your filing status, and whether you are covered by a retirement plan at your job are all factors to determine whether your contribution can be deductible if you wish.  Making it a deductible contribution can reduce your taxes, but it will make the future distributions from the account taxable.  

If you expect to convert the Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA down the road, then making the contribution non-deductible is the better choice.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies