Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HHinNH
Returning Member

NH Interest and Dividends Tax on LLC distributions

I'm a new resident to NH.  I'm a partner in an LLC that has made losses in 11 of the past 13 years.  There is an accumulated loss on the balance sheet.  The LLC K-1had a box 1 income of $27,000 in 2023 and reported Interest and Dividends of $2000.  The LLC also made is first distribution in 2023 of $45,000.  It is an operating business.  

I understand I must report the $45,000 distribution on line 2.

I also think a big chunk of the distribution can be designated not taxable on line 4.  There are two not taxable "Reason Codes" that I believe pertain to my situation.

Reason Code 10: Distributive share of the entity's interest or dividend income indicated on Schedule K-1 and
included in the partner, beneficiary or shareholders federal income tax return.

Since the dividends and income of $2000 is included on my Fed Filing in Sched B and included in the amount of dividends and income reported in Line 1 of the NH DP-10 it seems they are giving the opportunity to avoid counting this income twice.  Correct?

Reason Code 11: Return of capital. 

Chapter Rev 900 states in Rev 903.05:  Deemed Dividends.  With the exception of distributions in liquidation, the following transactions between an organization and its shareholders or interest-holders shall be considered a dividend:

(a)  All property transferred from an organization to a shareholder or interest-holder with respect to the shareholder's or interest-holder's ownership interest from the accumulated profits of the organization;

Rev 903.06  Sequence of Distributions.  All actual distributions shall be presumed to be sequentially made from:  (a) The current year profit of the organization; (b) The organization’s accumulated profits; and (c) The capital of the organization.

In my case, of the $45,000, the distribution first comes from (a) current year profit of $27,000, (b) there are no accumulated earnings, so (c) the balance, $18,000 is a Return of Capital which is not taxable as per Chapt 77 Income and Taxes, section 77.7.

Or, since there are no accumulated earnings is the whole $45,000 not taxable as a Return of Capital?

Right now I'm apt to reduce the $45,000 by Reason 10: $2000 and Reason 11: $18,000 leaving a taxable amount of $25,000.

Any thoughts?  Am I interpreting this correctly.  BTW, the NH State software from TurboTax does not seem suited to nuances like mine.  It will not allow me to provide "reasons for not-taxable" on Line 4 for the LLC's it only references the Sched B Int and Divs.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies