Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

401K Over-Contribution Not Being Refunded This Year

Thank you!
koolkiran

I have a similar situation except we have received the refund for the overage already.  Can we file electronically?  Are taxes are pretty complicated and filing on paper would be unfortunate.
yqpi

Whether is the overpaid portion taxed this year (2018) only? It appears that F-199R from broker needs to be reported next year, which means that overpaid portion would be considered additional taxable income in 2019  (return of contribution taxable in 2018). As the result, this overpaid portion will be taxed twice. Please comment if this is true. Thanks.
koolkiran

I doubt it would be taxed twice if it was for a Roth 401k.  Someone can correct me though.
koolkiran

These steps also may not make sense after the update that came in today.  I am looking for the new steps based on the new screens and flow added?
katbut

@TurboTaxRachelW  please help.  I tried to follow your instructions but at the final review TT is asking me to fill out info for a ghost 1099 I don't have.  Is this the error that prevents people from e-filing?  What should I do--type in a few of the boxes I know how to answer in the Forms view (I don't think P is the right code since it says it's for 2017)?  Or should I try to print what I have and mail it in and hope for the best?  Please help!
thank you
katbut

Never mind...it seems to have resolved by going into forms view and deleting something.  What a nightmare.  
rplofker

@TurboTaxRachelW do you have an update here? should we do a ghost 1099?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies