Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zzz8881
Returning Member

Need to amend my tax return. Can't figure out how to get question again.

I'm using TurboTax Premier on Mac Desktop version.

Under Wages & Income, I press "Update" on IRA, 401k, ...

After entering my 1099-Rs, I'm supposed to click Continue and get the "Did you take any disaster distributions in prior years...?" question. I do get that question again and answer No.

I expect to then get the question whose answer I need to amend:

"Any Nondeductible contributions to your IRA?" But instead of getting that question, I'm taken back to the 1099-Rs page, and only got that one disaster relief question.

I've tried everything, including going to the actual Form data and changing the answer to the question. It's specifically IRS Form 8606 line 6: “Enter the value of all your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs as of December 31.” which I need to amend my answer to. Nothing is working.

How do I get the original question back on TurboTax so that I can amend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter it.  Then go through the follow-up questions again.   

To amend, click on New Tax Return from the File Menu.  Then scroll down and choose Amend a Filed Return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zzz8881
Returning Member

This isn’t for the questions associated with a particular 1099-R. This is for the questions that come after clicking Continue on the page with all the 1099-Rs. 

I’m not able to get those questions again (only the disaster relief one). I need the particular one I mentioned in my original post.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you enter a 1099-R with a code that refers to a previous year, you will be asked to confirm what year your form represents, and then you get a message (not a question) that will tell you that you may need to amend the previous year.   If you get the message and need to amend, you have to go to the previous year's tax return to amend the return. 

If you are entering a backdoor Roth conversion, please refer to this link for the complete steps.    If your conversion contribution was made in 2023 for tax year 2022, you'll need to check your 2022 return to make sure it includes Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs.    If this form isn't included in your 2022 return, you'll need to fill out a 2022 Form 8606 to record your nondeductible basis for conversion, and mail this form to your designated IRS office.    

Don’t amend your 2022 return to record your basis.  (Note: If you're required to file Form 8606 to report a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA, but don’t do so, you’ll be subject to a $50 penalty. This penalty can be waived if you can show reasonable cause.) 

To enter this prior-year basis in TurboTax:

1. On the Here's your 1099-R info screen, select Continue.
    • Search 1099-R and select the jump to link to access this screen.
  2. Answer Yes to Any nondeductible Contributions to your IRA? if you had any nondeductible contributions in prior years.
  3. Answer the questions about the basis from line 14 of your 2022 Form 8606 and the value of all traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs.
zzz8881
Returning Member

When I click on Continue, I am prompted with:

"Did you take any disaster distribution in prior years..?"

I select "No, I didn't" and press Continue.

Then I'm brought back to the original 1099-Rs page. Never do I get the option to search or jump to. I'm using the Desktop app on a Mac.

zzz8881
Returning Member

Again, I'm specifically looking to answer this question:

IRS Form 8606 line 6 (not 14): “Enter the value of all your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs as of December 31.” which I need to amend my answer to. Nothing is working.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If your return includes a distribution reported on Form 1099-R, go back to that section of your return where you can see the list of all Form 1099-R being included.  Then, click Continue to leave that screen without making any changes.  The question about the total value of your accounts as of December 31 should be one of the follow-up questions, which will then populate Form 8606 line 6.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies