Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife receives an ongoing 1099-R death benefit from State of MN. We live in PA, and this should not be taxable to PA, but Turbotax is calculating PA tax. How do I fix?

It's from State of MN Teachers Retirement Assoc. (Her parents were teachers.) I've already entered the Box 7 distribution code 4 for death benefit. The State Taxes portion of Turbotax is asking: "What kind of retirement income do you have from PA?" It's not from PA! Is there a correct choice from the drop-down list? Perhaps:"I'm eligible; plan's eligible (no PA tax)" or "U.S. Civil Svc ret/disability/annuity"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LisaBr

My wife receives an ongoing 1099-R death benefit from State of MN. We live in PA, and this should not be taxable to PA, but Turbotax is calculating PA tax. How do I fix?

In your situation the best coding for Pennsylvania is:  I'm eligible, plans eligible (No PA tax).

This will take care of the taxing responsibilities for your state of residence.

This is a little different, my father passed away and I am not seeing where I note the 1099-R for the federal income tax, since this is a death and it is a payout form a Life Insurance I do not see where I put this information in my return?

There is no state tax, but I am not sure how to do federal, this came with a 1099-R but it is from the life insurance company.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies