turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rassitim

My son is 17 and mowed for some neighbors in 2016. Through multiple mowing jobs he earned $1700. When entering data in TurboTax, for the state of Illinois TurboTax is asking for an Employer ID which in my mind doesn't apply as he is a Household Employee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My son is 17 and mowed for some neighbors in 2016. Through multiple mowing jobs he earned $1700. When entering data in TurboTax, for the state of Illinois TurboTax is asking for an Employer ID which in my mind doesn't apply as he is a Household Employee

You are correct.  If he did not obtain an EIN with the IRS then this box is blank.  His Social Security Number will identify his "business" return with Illinois.  (Since he was self'-employed, reporting those earnings is a business return).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are correct.  If he did not obtain an EIN with the IRS then this box is blank.  His Social Security Number will identify his "business" return with Illinois.  (Since he was self'-employed, reporting those earnings is a business return).

rassitim

Thank you for your response.  This is helpful.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Always glad to assist.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies