Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mother in law receives a foreign military pension from her late husband. She withdraws all of that pension annually. Would this count as withdrawing all of it as RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jtax
Level 10

My mother in law receives a foreign military pension from her late husband. She withdraws all of that pension annually. Would this count as withdrawing all of it as RMD?

RMD only apply to US retirement plans (as far as US taxes are concerned). 

However, since you are probably entering the foreign pension in TT as a 1099-R, it might be the better path to say yes to the all RMD question. That should have no affect other than to make sure there is no penalty for not taking an RMD, which would not apply to a foreign pension.

Just do note that your mother cannot use the foreign pension withdrawal to satisfy an RMD for a US retirement plan. Those will be separate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. She has to use substitute form 1099R since home country/pension does not issue those.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies