Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

benehsani

My income is high due to 1099-INT received from my banks. My tax return for 2023 shows that I owe taxes with penalty and fees. What is the reason for the penalty & fees?

How can the penalty & fees be avoided?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

My income is high due to 1099-INT received from my banks. My tax return for 2023 shows that I owe taxes with penalty and fees. What is the reason for the penalty & fees?

I can't be sure since I can't see your return, but the US tax system is a "pay-as-you-go system". That is, normally, if you will owe more than $1,000 in tax, you should have paid it by the end of the year.

Most taxpayers are employees, so they can do this through withholding, but others like the self-employed must pay estimated taxes on a quarterly basis. Please see this IRS webpage.

You can make quarterly payments online at Payments. It is also likely that if you owed a penalty for the Underpayment of Estimated Taxes, the TurboTax will generate form 1040-ES forms as a suggestion. That is, you can pay whatever seems appropriate; these numbers are not fixed in stone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can ask IRS to waive the penalty with Form 2210.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies