lynnandjim2010

My husband in a resident alien from Canada and receives NR4 Pension Income. I can't figure out where to include the taxes paid in Canada on this income for the tax credi

Income code 40 and Income code 39 on NR4 on Canadian Pension with Non Resident tax withheld
CherylW

To enter the NR4, treat it as if it is a SSA-1099 and enter it in the Retirement Plans and Social Security section, under ‘Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)’.

Then, go to the Deductions and Credits section and select Foreign Taxes under ‘Estimates and Other Taxes Paid’ to enter any foreign tax you already paid to Canada on that income.

For more information specific to the US/Canadian tax treaty, please see this link:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p597.pd