turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband died in December of 2022. We filed that as his final year of tax return. Now we got a 1099R for 2023 for a January pension payment which processed for him

My husband died in December of 2022. We filed that as his final year of tax return. Now we got a 1099R for 2023 for a January pension payment which processed for him. I am entitled to his pension payments, however this one payment came in under his name and I got two separate 1099R. One in his name. One in mine. How do I file this since we already filed his final return for tax year 2022?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My husband died in December of 2022. We filed that as his final year of tax return. Now we got a 1099R for 2023 for a January pension payment which processed for him

This situation is called "income in respect of a decedent."  Assuming you are his beneficiary or are the person entitled to this income, you can report it on your tax return.  Instead of reporting the 1099-R as it is, add the income as "other reportable income" in the Miscellaneous Income section.  

My husband passed in 2022 but received money from a class action suit in 2023.  I added it on my taxes under 1099-misc but federal and state kicked it back because they said it was for someone who is deceased.  The 1099 envelope states my name and my husbands but the 1099-misc is just in his name with his Social Security number.  I took this amount off of my taxes and tried to submit my return but the IRS and state are still rejecting it.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Can you give us the exact rejection message you are getting (including a code or series of numbers) so we can better assist in troubleshooting? 

@lewanddebby79 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The rejection code is IND-901

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

This message indicates that your husband's Social Security number is still listed as a taxpayer somewhere on this return.  Check the "My Info" section of TurboTax and remove his information there. 

If in 2022 you filed the return with him as the primary taxpayer and you as the spouse, you will need to ensure that you are now listed as the primary taxpayer.  

If you don't see his name in My Info, also check the entry area for the 1099-MISC and be sure it isn't there either.  You may need to also delete and re-enter that form after making any adjustments to the My Info section.  

The income should be reported as if you received it yourself, and shouldn't reference his name or Social Security number in the TurboTax program. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies