turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrbouren

My daughter check off all of the requirements for the Retirement Savings Credit but Turbo Tax is saying she doesn't qualifiy. What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

My daughter check off all of the requirements for the Retirement Savings Credit but Turbo Tax is saying she doesn't qualifiy. What am I missing?

One of the disqualifiers that is not so obvious is having taken a prior year distribution.

The amount of any contribution eligible for the saver’s credit is reduced by the amount of any taxable distribution received by the taxpayer (or by the taxpayer’s spouse if the taxpayer filed jointly with that spouse both for the year during which a distribution was made and the year for which the credit is taken) from any plan described in A-5 below during the testing period. The testing period consists of the year for which the credit is claimed, the period after the end of that year and before the due date (with extensions) for filing the taxpayer's return for that year, and the two taxable years that precede the year for which the credit is claimed.

Saver's Credit

dmertz
Level 15

One thing that is common overlooked is that this is a nonrefundable credit, meaning that it cannot be used to reduce tax liability below zero.  Perhaps your daughter's income tax liability on Form 1040 line 18 minus line 19 is already zero without this credit.  This credit cannot be used to reduce other taxes such as self-employment tax and early-distribution penalties.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies