turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dad and father in law passed away in 2016 and they both were receiving social security. How do I need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

My dad and father in law passed away in 2016 and they both were receiving social security. How do I need to file?

They may need to file final form 1040 individual income tax returns.

If there is income, they will need to file a final individual income tax return using the same filing status they would have regularly used. (See Deceased Persons from the IRS)

Whether your father and father-in-law need to file depends on whether they have income from sources other than Social Security. If Social Security is their only source of income, they would not be required to file a final tax return because their income would not be taxable (Social Security income is only taxable if the taxpayer has income from other sources).

If there was income from other sources (like retirement accounts reporting on form 1099-R) they should file a tax return using the best filing status for their situations.

They may also need to file an estate income tax return on form 1041. See this site for an explanation of this situation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

They may need to file final form 1040 individual income tax returns.

If there is income, they will need to file a final individual income tax return using the same filing status they would have regularly used. (See Deceased Persons from the IRS)

Whether your father and father-in-law need to file depends on whether they have income from sources other than Social Security. If Social Security is their only source of income, they would not be required to file a final tax return because their income would not be taxable (Social Security income is only taxable if the taxpayer has income from other sources).

If there was income from other sources (like retirement accounts reporting on form 1099-R) they should file a tax return using the best filing status for their situations.

They may also need to file an estate income tax return on form 1041. See this site for an explanation of this situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies