Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkmeddles

My 1099-R is a annuity I get from the military for my deceased husband, I did not contribute to this pension, why are the questions asked suggesting I did?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 1099-R is a annuity I get from the military for my deceased husband, I did not contribute to this pension, why are the questions asked suggesting I did?

It is probably asking if your husband made after-tax contributions to the pension plan while he was working. If so, the total of these after-tax contributions forms the "cost" or "basis" of the pension. When the pension is paid out to you over time, then that part which is a return of basis (there is a formula for that) is not taxable - because you already paid tax on the amount already.

It is possible to make such after-tax contributions to a pension plan, but not necessarily likely. If you go back to last year's return and see that the entire amount received from the pension in 2016 (i.e., the amount on the 1099) was taxable, then your basis is probably zero - so just enter that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is probably asking if your husband made after-tax contributions to the pension plan while he was working. If so, the total of these after-tax contributions forms the "cost" or "basis" of the pension. When the pension is paid out to you over time, then that part which is a return of basis (there is a formula for that) is not taxable - because you already paid tax on the amount already.

It is possible to make such after-tax contributions to a pension plan, but not necessarily likely. If you go back to last year's return and see that the entire amount received from the pension in 2016 (i.e., the amount on the 1099) was taxable, then your basis is probably zero - so just enter that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies