Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medicare Advantage Over the Counter (OTC) Benefit - Income Tax and Sales Tax Question

My Medicare Advantage plan has an OTC benefit of $105 per quarter for items listed in the OTC catalog which can be ordered online and/or purchased at CVS.  I was wondering if I’m supposed to claim the amount of the benefit I used as income (I haven’t in the past). 

Also, when I placed orders online no CA State sales tax was added, so am I supposed to pay that amount when filing CA state taxes when they ask for the amount for online orders that no sales tax was paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Medicare Advantage Over the Counter (OTC) Benefit - Income Tax and Sales Tax Question

Hello,

From what I am understanding from your question, this is just a discount so you would only report the medical expenses paid that are out of pocket if it totals to over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  Usually people do not reach this threshold so they take the standard deduction.

https://www.taxes.ca.gov/sales_and_use_tax/whatstaxable.html#:~:text=Some%20items%20are%20exempt%20f...

This link says that prescription medications are not taxable in CA.  You can click on this link or copy and paste it into a browser.

I hope you found this helpful.

Katie S.

Katherine S 63

I'm not sure you understood the question.  The Over the Counter benefit isn't for prescription medications or medical doctor services.  It's for other types of products including vitamins, OTC pain relievers, oral hygiene care products, band ages, wraps for sore muscles, canes, blood pressure monitors, etc. 

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies