Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical deductions

My wife has dementia and Parkinsons disease. Twice a week I pay out of pocket a private agency to send a lady to care for my wife while i get out  of the house. I pay the agency directly who then pays the caregiver and is responsible for her social security, withholding sets. May I deduct my costs in annual return under medical deductions or some where else? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
carmen_t
Employee Tax Expert

Medical deductions

Hello and thank you for your question.  You may input the medical out of pocket expenses in TurboTax under the medical expenses section located within deductions/credits.  Please keep in mind; however, it is a Schedule A item subject to 7.5% AGI.  Basically, medical expenses paid above 7/5% AGI would be a deduction added to Schedule A.  If standard deduction is used the standard deduction will apply and not include the medical deductions.  If itemized deductions are higher then that will be recommended to be used and include medical expenses paid above 7.5% AGI.  The higher of standard verus itemized is best to reduce overall taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies