Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Max contribution for profit sharing keogh solo 401k

I have a regular W2 job that I contribute to the max elective amount to pretax 401K in 2023. I have a side job being a realtor that I made a net profit around 19K. I plan to make profit contribution as an employer. When I tried to max profit sharing, Turbotax automatically calculate the amount which is the full amount of the net profit of 19K, isn't that only Max of 25% of net profit can be contribute as an employer? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax's Maximize function for an individual 401(k) contribution cannot be used when you make elective deferrals to another employer's 401(k) plan.

Because you maxed out the elective deferrals to anther employer's plan, use the Maximize function for a SEP plan instead to calculate your maximum employer contribution to the individual 401(k).  Absent an elective deferral, the calculation of the employer contribution is the same for both types of plans, 20% (the adjusted value required for the self-employed when the base rate is 25%) of net earnings.  Earnings are net profit on Schedule C minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax's Maximize function for an individual 401(k) contribution cannot be used when you make elective deferrals to another employer's 401(k) plan.

Because you maxed out the elective deferrals to anther employer's plan, use the Maximize function for a SEP plan instead to calculate your maximum employer contribution to the individual 401(k).  Absent an elective deferral, the calculation of the employer contribution is the same for both types of plans, 20% (the adjusted value required for the self-employed when the base rate is 25%) of net earnings.  Earnings are net profit on Schedule C minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

@dmertz Thank you very much for your explanation

Now I understand I could check the box to maximize profit sharing keogh but can't check the box to maximize contribution of individual 401K 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies