Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

salsfirst
Returning Member

Massachusetts tax making Roth distributions as taxable on form X, Why

Last year I changed financial institutions from Ameriprise to Osaic.  When I got my 1099-R for a Roth distribution from Ameriprise it was coded Q for Qualified distribution, as I am 65 and have not contributed to the Roth in 8 years.  But when I got 2 1099-R from Osaic for 2 Roth distributions they were coded with a T for exception applies.

I clicked the button that says I had the Roth IRA opened before 2019.  The federal form picks it up correctly, but the Massachusetts state form X has the distributions coded as a Q as not taxable but the ones coded with a T as taxable.  Is there a bug in the TurboTax MA state?

I understand that since the Roth was opened for 5 years and I’m over 59 anything distributed from the Roth is not taxable since I already paid tax on it, both Federal and State.  I have had conversions done over the last couple of years from an IRA to this Roth, but I paid taxes on them when they were converted so I shouldn’t have to pay taxes on any Roth distribution.  Am I missing something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies