Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lump Sum SS Payments

Married Filing Joing.

Spouse received SS Lump Sum payments for 2022 - 2019 and an additional amount for 'Other Tax Years'.

Husband received SS Lump Sum payments for 'Other Tax Years'.  

When entering the information for each Tax Year, do I enter the SS Net Benefits received for both OR just the one who received a Lump Sum Payment?

Since we filed joint, I enter the AGI, Tax-Exempt Interest and Taxable SS Benefits for both. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Lump Sum SS Payments

For each year enter the social security benefits received in 2023 that was for a different year.  When asked for the amount you will enter the combined amount for each spouse for a particular year. Follow the steps below to enter your lump sum benefit received in 2023 for several years.  

Note: If you received benefits in 2023 and you never had any benefits in the previous years you must use those prior returns to see if any of it would have been taxable had it been received in those years.

The lump-sum election has always worked correctly in TurboTax. Have all tax returns available for each year included in the lump sum payment (shown on your SSA-1099).

This can be handled on your tax return for 2023. The Form SSA-1099 should show a total amount in box 5, and then the amount that is designated for each year in box 3. Worksheet 4 is included after Worksheet 2 is completed for each year.

Be sure to select "lump-sum" method of reporting in this situation which is all done on the tax return for the year of receipt of the benefits.  Enter the appropriate amounts for each year when you start that section of your return.   Continue to add each year for all years listed in box 3. There is no amendment required.

1. Open your TurboTax Return > Search (upper right) > type ssa1099 > Click the Jump to.... Link
  2. Select Yes you received benefits > Complete your SSA-1099 > Continue > Yes I received at least one lump sum payment for 2022 or earlier > Continue
  3. Type a year from your SSA-1099 > Enter the amount received for that year > Continue
  4. If you received a Form SSA-1099 for the earlier year enter the box 5 amount, if not enter zero or leave it blank > Continue
  5. Enter the filing status for the earlier year > Continue > Select whether you lived with a spouse in the earlier year > Continue >
  6. Enter the information from the earlier year return > Continue > Add another lump sum payment (another year from box 3) if applicable or Click Done
  7. Continue to follow the screens until you are back at the Income Summary page

Also enter a zero if your Social Security benefits weren't taxable or there were none in the earlier year(s) (such as for a spouse). If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download version review the Lump-Sum Social Security Worksheet in Forms.  You can also review 'Earlier Year Lump-Sum Worksheet' for each year. 

For TurboTax Online review this link to look at your Form 1040 (line 6a): How to Preview My Online Return Before Filing

Once complete you will see the taxable amount of any social security disability on line 6b, Form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Lump Sum SS Payments

It's a glitch in TurboTax because it requires you to put in a year. I did it for the years it showed but am stumped at how to enter the lump sum for all other hears.  It's requiring I type in a year but it's for several years lumped together before 2019.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies