Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

B Owens

KEPERS in Virginia

I understand that KEPERis not taxes after you retirment in KS and per the information that i have found KEPERS subject to to state income tax during normal pay roll.

the question that i have is.   because this KEPERS was per taxed in kansas.   do we pay income taxes in VA 

A statment in the VA tax form

Retirement income adjustment ( learn Mor )

""virginia subtraction for retirement plan income presiously taxed by another state""

if i understand the statment correctly the kepers income is not taxed in VA becuase it has already been tax in KS?

Thanks for you help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

KEPERS in Virginia

"if i understand the statment correctly the kepers income is not taxed in VA becuase it has already been tax in KS?"

You are not reading this correctly. In Kansas, it is NOT that KPERS distributions have already been taxed, but that by act of the Kansas state legislature, KPERS distributions are not subject to tax in Kansas.

Unless the Virginia state legislature takes the same action, it will still be taxable in Virginia.

Please see this Virginia page. You will notice that KPERS is not mentioned here, meaning that it is taxed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies