turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 form 1065 required to be entered if related to an IRA?

I had looked on-line some time ago about a K-1 for an LP and it seemed it needed to be entered in my taxes. It is a publicly traded limited partnership. I was able to enter/upload the K-1 form 1065 file I received. TurboTax then asked if box I2 was checked (is this partner a retirement plan (IRA/Sep/Keogh). My box IS checked as the trades for this entity were in my IRA. TurboTax says "Good News! Becuase this K-1 is held by your retirement plan, you do not need to report any information about this K-1 on your personal tax return. It's sheltered from tax because it is part of your retirement account."

I see some references that seem to confirm this in comments - but most recents are from 2019 and I know things can change quickly. Thank for the help/guidance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

K-1 form 1065 required to be entered if related to an IRA?

Nothing has changed since 2019 with regard to Schedule K-1 received for an IRA. This excellent post from a TurboTax Expert includes good advice if you have questions about this K-1.

Per DavidD66 (2023): 

You do not need to report the K-1 you received for an investment you hold/held in a retirement account.  

If the investments in your retirement account generated total positive UBTI across all applicable investments held equal to $1,000 or more, then Form 990-T must be filed, and the related tax paid.

Unrelated business taxable income (UBTI) is income earned by a tax-exempt entity, such as an IRA, that is not related to the exempt purpose of the tax-exempt entity. The exempt purpose of an IRA is to provide for the retirement of the IRA holder.  More than likely, you didn't have $1,000 or more of UBTI; moreover, if you did, your retirement plan custodian would probably file Form 990-T and pay the tax on your behalf, which would then be a distribution from your account.  

If you think you may have had $1,000 or more of UBTI in an account, I suggest you contact the retirement plan custodian about how they deal with it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies