turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It is unclear why I had a fed tax REFUND of 108 on income of 11,798 in 2017 -- BUT a tax of 423 on income of half that sum, 6036 for 2018. It is concerning

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It is unclear why I had a fed tax REFUND of 108 on income of 11,798 in 2017 -- BUT a tax of 423 on income of half that sum, 6036 for 2018. It is concerning

Did you have a Form 1099MISC or other self-employment income?  I notice you are posting from TurboTax Self Employed.  If so, you likely owe self-employment taxes and this is the reason you owe taxes.  Self-employment taxes are roughly 15% of your net income and they comprise the social security and Medicare taxes that you would normally see withheld on your paycheck for a W2 job.

While your standard deduction can decrease your taxable income from income tax purposes, it does not reduce your net income for self-employment tax purposes.  So, this is why you may owe taxes on less income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Did you have a Form 1099MISC or other self-employment income?  I notice you are posting from TurboTax Self Employed.  If so, you likely owe self-employment taxes and this is the reason you owe taxes.  Self-employment taxes are roughly 15% of your net income and they comprise the social security and Medicare taxes that you would normally see withheld on your paycheck for a W2 job.

While your standard deduction can decrease your taxable income from income tax purposes, it does not reduce your net income for self-employment tax purposes.  So, this is why you may owe taxes on less income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies