Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just received my 1095A in the mail. My only income is social security. Do I have to file this even though I don't have to file income tax due to my only income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just received my 1095A in the mail. My only income is social security. Do I have to file this even though I don't have to file income tax due to my only income.

It depends.  If you received Form 1095-A, which is issued to report Marketplace Health Insurance coverage, then you may need to file a tax return.  Look at Column C on the form.  If there are dollar amounts listed, then this means you received assistance towards your health insurance premiums.  In this case, you are required to file a tax return.  

Even though you only have Social Security income, a tax return is required to reconcile any Advance Premium Tax Credit received.  You will complete Form 8962, which will determine if you received too much credit or too little.

If Column C is blank, you are not required to file, but you should.  You may be eligible for a refund.  This means you may have paid too much for your health insurance premiums.

See this TurboTax FAQ below for more information.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page view. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4234767

Me and my husband file taxes no more. So how do I fill out form 1040 with no earned income? Marketplace sent my husband form 1095-A and we have to fill out form 1040 with it.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You skip the income section and go right to the 1095-A entry, then e-file the return.   TurboTax will complete Form 8962 and include it with your e-filed return.    You can start here.   If you have social security income or retirement income, it should be entered on your tax return if you are filing a Form 1040.     @LadyDell

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies