Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to fill out the tax forms to reflect the retirement funds I get to show they are from my deceased husband's plan and not mine?

The way the questions are formatted are not allowing me to reflect that the retirement funds i receive are from my late husband's plan and not my own so the information is incorrect. How do I correct this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Is there a way to fill out the tax forms to reflect the retirement funds I get to show they are from my deceased husband's plan and not mine?

Your question is unclear because there are several possibilities.  If your spouse died in 2023, then you should be filing a joint return including both spouse's names, and you would list your spouse' income under their own name as on a normal tax return.   If your spouse died in 2022, and you received income in 2023 in your spouse's name (and you got a 1099-R in your spouse's name), this is income in respect of a decedent.  Assuming you are the beneficiary or the person authorized to receive this income, you would enter this income as miscellaneous or "other" income on your tax return, and not as a 1099-R.  If you have been made the beneficiary of your spouse's account, then you would receive a 1099-R titled something like "Jane Doe as beneficiary of John Doe", which makes it your income that you enter under your name. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies