Solved: Is the mandatory 9.5% of my gross monthly check Before Tax-Deductions amount, on my Earning Statements, for retirement, deductible?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the mandatory 9.5% of my gross monthly check Before Tax-Deductions amount, on my Earning Statements, for retirement, deductible?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Is the mandatory 9.5% of my gross monthly check Before Tax-Deductions amount, on my Earning Statements, for retirement, deductible?

You report the W-2 with all the boxes completed and this does not get entered anywhere else in TurboTax.

You are part of a defined benefit plan and the amount paid in as your contributions will not be taxed when you start drawing your retirement.  So, the 9.5% is not deductible on your tax return when you are paying it in. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

You report the W-2 with all the boxes completed and this does not get entered anywhere else in TurboTax.

You are part of a defined benefit plan and the amount paid in as your contributions will not be taxed when you start drawing your retirement.  So, the 9.5% is not deductible on your tax return when you are paying it in. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings