Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MoneyMark

Is cash from a deceased parents bank account taxable? My mom died and my sister (a co-signor on the account) wrote checks to us ($70K each) to distribute the money.

My mother passed away in July of 2016. She had $220,000 in a checking account, and my sister was a co-signor on that checking account. Being a co-signor on the account, my sister simply wrote checks to us (herself, my brother and I) for approximately US $70,000 each. There was no probate, nor was there an "official" transfer from the bank to us as beneficiaries. Are we going to get walloped by the IRS? In addition to the $70,000 we each received stocks and cash from another account that was done "officially", meaning they were notified of my mom's death and since we were listed as beneficiaries, the money stocks  was transferred to accounts in our name.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Patrice

Is cash from a deceased parents bank account taxable? My mom died and my sister (a co-signor on the account) wrote checks to us ($70K each) to distribute the money.

The cash inheritance is not taxed by the federal although your state my impose a tax.  You will have to report the gains from the stocks whenever you sale the stocks.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300476

Does the sister being a cosigner have to file a FBAR?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies