turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qxbsc

I made nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA in Nov 2016. When should I file form 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I made nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA in Nov 2016. When should I file form 8606?

The 8606 should be on your 2016 1040 tax return.

Enter the Traditional IRA contribution under Deductions and Credits- Traditional and Roth IRA.

If you have the opportunity to deduct it, but prefer to keep it nondeductible, you will be given the opportunity to do so. This will complete the 8606 on your return. You update a Form 8606 in the year of the nondeductible contribution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

The 8606 should be on your 2016 1040 tax return.

Enter the Traditional IRA contribution under Deductions and Credits- Traditional and Roth IRA.

If you have the opportunity to deduct it, but prefer to keep it nondeductible, you will be given the opportunity to do so. This will complete the 8606 on your return. You update a Form 8606 in the year of the nondeductible contribution.

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Sorry, but what is it you are asking exactly?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

(There's nothing incorrect about my answer)
dmertz
Level 15

As TurboTaxChristinaS said, a traditional IRA contribution made in November 2016 must be reported on your 2016 tax return.  If it's a nondeductible contribution, your 2016 tax return must include 2016 Form 8606.
qxbsc

Is "2016 form 8606" included in "TurboTax online Premier 2016 "?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Yes. It is generated when you enter a nondeductible IRA contribution. Or when you take money out of an IRA and have nondeductible contributions. Its definitely supported by Premier.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies