Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wilsey32

IRS sent me a letter stating that I owed money from a retirement fund. I paid the taxes when I took the money out. How do I fix this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

IRS sent me a letter stating that I owed money from a retirement fund. I paid the taxes when I took the money out. How do I fix this?

Follow the instructions in the IRS letter. There should be a list of the next steps to take. If you disagree with what the IRS is stating in the letter, respond to the IRS in writing. If you have other questions, contact the IRS at the number provided on the letter.

See link below.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/if-you-receive-an-irs-notice-heres-what-to-do

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you claim the 1099-R on your return?
wilsey32

no I dont think so. I contacted Fidelity and it shows I paid the taxes. I had moved since I took the money out so I never got the 1099-r and didn't even think about it when I did my taxes
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Follow the instructions in the IRS letter. There should be a list of the next steps to take. If you disagree with what the IRS is stating in the letter, respond to the IRS in writing. If you have other questions, contact the IRS at the number provided on the letter.

See link below.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/if-you-receive-an-irs-notice-heres-what-to-do

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies