Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Publication 721 - US Civil Service Retirement Benefits - Simplified Method Worksheet - CORRECTION

Using the Simplified Method, the monthly annuity is made up of Tax-free part that is a return of my cost and the taxable part.

IRS Publication 721, Part II: Simplified Method states to figure the tax-free part of each full monthly payment by dividing your cost by a number of months based on your age.  If annuity starting date is after 1997 and your annuity includes a survivor benefit for your spouse, this number is based on your combined ages.

I am using Turbo Tax Premium, WHERE IN TURBO TAX AM I ABLE TO INPUT COMBINED AGES IN FIGURING THE REDUCTION OF THE COST OF NON-TAXABLE PORTION? 

Currently Turbo Tax is only taking into account my husbands age and it should be our combined AGES.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

IRS Publication 721 - US Civil Service Retirement Benefits - Simplified Method Worksheet - CORRECTION

Yes.  Return to your entry and scroll through the section. There should be a screen that will appear that is titled Tell Us About Your Joint Annuity. Here you will say This Annuity Covers more Than one Person. See the first screenshot.

The next screen will instruct you to enter the ages for both of you. See the second screenshot.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dave, thanks so much for your reply.  

I cannot locate the "Tell us about your Annuity" or the screenshots you provided.

Could it be I'm not using the right Turbo Tax Product.

On my receipt, it shows I purchased "Turbo Tax Online Premium 2023"

Please advise.  

Thanks

Dave, Thanks for your response below.

I am using Turbo Tax premium and I do not have access to the screenshots you provided me below. 

Can you tell me which version of Turbo Tax you found these screenshots?  I already paid for the Turbo Tax Premium. 
Thanks for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies