turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRAs

This might be a dumb question, but as someone who's relatively younger in terms of life experience and starting the undertaking of preparing taxes for myself and newer husband....

How do I know if either of us contributed to an IRA or not in 2019 (and if we did, how do we differentiate the kind)?  Would we receive a Form 1099-R or 5498 if we did (and thus I can safely assume we made no such contributions since we did NOT receive either of these forms)?

*Also of note: on one of my husband's W-2's, in box 12 he has AA listed, which is "Designated Roth contributions under a section 401(k) plan."  Does this count as contributions to an IRA or 401(k)?  Or neither??

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

IRAs

You must act proactively to make an IRA contribution ; you would know if you did it.

Anything shown on your W-2, just enter exactly as it appears.

IRAs

@foxylady2391 wrote:

band's W-2's, in box 12 he has AA listed, which is "Designated Roth contributions under a section 401(k) plan."  Does this count as contributions to an IRA or 401(k)?  Or neither??

A code AA is a designated Roth (a 401(k) Roth) and is  NOT a IRA contribution and is ONLY reported on your W-2 - nowhere else.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

IRAs

So, your husband made after tax contribution to a Roth IRA. You shouldn't worry if you never received anything for it as the contribution was made after tax. If it were a traditional IRA, then you should have received at least a form 5498 showing your contributions before taxes as it may also affect your current return as you may want to take the contribution deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies