Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA to Roth Conversion with US and International Income

Background: In December 2020, I left my job at my US-based employer as part of the process of being hired by one of its international entities. In January 2021 I moved outside of the United States and fully expect to be able to meet the physical presence test to qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and currently make less than the threshold. The job move/transfer qualified me for a sizable bonus ($25,000 pre-tax) from the US-employer and was paid to me in February with normal US federal and state taxes withheld at higher-than-normal rates (there was a 31% withholding at the federal level).

Question: Given my qualification for the FEIE and with the bonus being my only US income, I expect to receive a pretty generous refund after taking the standard deduction when I file 2021 tax returns, so can I convert money in a traditional IRA into a Roth IRA until my refund is near $0? If it matters, all of the money in the traditional IRA is pre-tax account from rollovers/was deductible when contributed. Happy to provide additional context/information if needed for a more precise/accurate answer. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you are asking if you can make a IRA contribution with excluded foreign income then no.   You must have *taxable* compensation to contribute to an IRA.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Apologies if it was unclear, but that really wasn't the question. I understand I can't make IRA/Roth contributions unless my foreign income exceeds the FEIE cap, in which case I would have what's considered taxable/earned income. However, because I have earned US income for the tax year, I'm under the impression that I'm allowed to make a contribution for this year.

The question is whether I can convert money already contributed to an IRA into a Roth, thereby recognizing that money as 'income' to reduce the tax refund I'm anticipating given the taxes withheld on the bonus.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies