Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tealover753
Returning Member

IRA RMD for deceased spouse, Inherited IRA for beneficiary

Hi,

My husband passed away this mid-April at age 72. He started RMD since last year and hasn't done  for this year.

I chose "Inherited IRAs" from his TRA and ROTH IRA, because

1.I 'm much younger than him and under 59 1/2, and may need to access funds from now on,

2. I'm a non-citizen spouse and have no family except my husband's side, and may choose to go back to my home country before 60. So want to be able to collect the funds through the beneficiary RMD. *Because my home country may impose income tax on my US Roth IRA if/when I go back there and start Roth distribution.

Now, we've had IRA accounts in two separate financial institutions.

With one investment institution, the setting up of inherited IRA was fairly quick and  the rep also explained to me the info thatI had  already researched, that

My deceased husband's Last RMD for TRA IRA must be completed by 12/31 this year,

I'll have to do the beneficiary RMD for both my Inherited TRA&Roth from next year on and empty accounts by 10th year,

I can transfer the Inherited IRA to Assumed IRA when I decide in the future that I don't need to access the funds in IRAs.

BUT the other institution which is a regular bank insisted my husband's RMD is "suspended" and they cannot do his last RMD requirement for this year.

I was going to do the RMD for both institutions just like last year...

Is my bank correct?  

Also, with my beneficiary RMD from next year, do I need to empty the accounts(Inherited TRA & ROTH) by 10th year?  (bz I thought I read in the IRS website that it doesn't apply to my situation, something like, my husband's age or my age, or when he passed...?)

Thanks!

*I have posted another post here

Inheriting spouse's IRA - I'm under 59 1/2 years old, accounts over 5 years (intuit.com)

but the thread became kind of too long and wasn't sure if I should continue on and on...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

" beneficiary RMD for both my Inherited TRA&Roth"

You don't have to take any RMDs from a Roth IRA.

"regular bank insisted my husband's RMD is "suspended" "

You can satisfy that 2023 RMD by taking from the Inherited IRA.

your first RMD ia in 2024.

who is the beneficiary on the bank IRA account? If it is you, you will have the same decision for treatment

I'll let @dmertz  confrm whether you can switch to  "treat as your own" at any time in the 10-year period

@tealover753 

why did you post this again. ??

"became too long" is not a good reason.

I'll drop out now.

@tealover753 

dmertz
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies