Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

threshb

IRA Limits

I have $305,000 in taxable income for 2021.  Only $66,000 comes from wages (I am a federal retired annuitant and under the rules I am not able to contribute to a retirement plan at work in this status).  However a substantial portion of the difference between the $305,000 and the $66,000 comes from various earned defined benefit retirement plans such as retired military, and retired civil service, social security, and my spouses defined benefit retirement plan, plus annuities and investments.  I was surprised that Turbo Tax recommended that I make, and deduct from my tax liability, a max traditional IRA contribution of $14,000 for my spouse and I (both 70) with that amount of taxable income.  Here is the question that I want to make sure I am clear on.  Since my  w2 wages are sufficient to cover the $14,000 contribution, and I am not covered by a retirement plan in my current employment, am I eligible to make and deduct that $14,000 contribution despite my $305,000 taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

IRA Limits

Yes, if you have enough taxable compensation (wages in your case) to cover the $14,000 and both your spouse and you are not covered by a retirement plan at work (box 13 retirement plan isn't checked on your W-2) then your traditional IRA contributions are fully deductible. Please see IRA Deduction if You Are NOT Covered by a Retirement Plan at Work - 2021 for details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies