Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA indirect rollover via multiple bank accounts

I'm doing an IRA to IRA indirect rollover to my traditional IRA account and I'm trying to do it without tax penalties and withholdings. My destination traditional IRA account only accepts a max of $50,000 per ACH transfer into the account while the total withdrawal amount from my source IRA account is $90,000. I've already don the withdrawal and the money is in a bank account. I understand that I have 60 days to transfer it to my destination to a traditional IRA account to avoid tax penalties. My destination IRA's bank recommend that I do a wire transfer of the total amount to their bank's normal brokerage account of mine and then transferring the total amount from the same bank's brokerage account to the IRA will be fine. From tax perspective, does it matter if the money goes through multiple bank accounts like this: source traditional IRA account -> bank account -> normal brokerage account -> destination traditional IRA account?

I realize I can only do 1 indirect rollover per year as a requirement from IRS, so will it be considered 2 indirect rollovers if I make multiple transfers?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

"does it matter if the money goes through multiple bank accounts"

It doesn't matter.  As long as the entire $90,000 was a single distribution from the original IRA, you are fine.  The rollover can be completed with as many deposits within 60 days as is necessary because only one distribution is being rolled over.

Money is fungible.  You could even complete the rollover using cash from a different bank account (often done if some amount was withheld for taxes), although there is probably no reason to do so in this case.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

"does it matter if the money goes through multiple bank accounts"

It doesn't matter.  As long as the entire $90,000 was a single distribution from the original IRA, you are fine.  The rollover can be completed with as many deposits within 60 days as is necessary because only one distribution is being rolled over.

Money is fungible.  You could even complete the rollover using cash from a different bank account (often done if some amount was withheld for taxes), although there is probably no reason to do so in this case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies