Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA conversion vs recharacterization mistake

In March of 2023 I had intended to recharacterize a $2000 IRA contribution to a ROTH IRA for the 2022 tax year. I thought that's what I did and reported it that way on my 2022 taxes. In 2023 I received a 1099-R for the IRA distribution made in March of 2023. As it turned out, I did not "recharacterize" my $2000 IRA contribution I "converted" it to ROTH. I can't undo the conversion and need to pay taxes on the $2000 conversion in 2023. I already paid tax in 2022 thinking I had recharacterized. What the best way to fix this? Amend my 2022 taxes or something different?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot undo a conversion.

You will need to amend your 2022 tax return to report the traditional IRA contribution and you can make it nondeductible. TurboTax will fill out Form 8606 with a basis on line 14 which will be entered on your 2023 return when you enter your conversion. Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? 

If you do not have any pre-tax funds in your traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRAs then you will be able to convert the contribution tax-free. If you have pre-tax and after-tax contribution mixed in the traditional IRA then the pro-rata rule applies. This means that with each distribution/ conversion you will have a taxable and nontaxable part. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot undo a conversion.

You will need to amend your 2022 tax return to report the traditional IRA contribution and you can make it nondeductible. TurboTax will fill out Form 8606 with a basis on line 14 which will be entered on your 2023 return when you enter your conversion. Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? 

If you do not have any pre-tax funds in your traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRAs then you will be able to convert the contribution tax-free. If you have pre-tax and after-tax contribution mixed in the traditional IRA then the pro-rata rule applies. This means that with each distribution/ conversion you will have a taxable and nontaxable part. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies